On this blog every Tuesday and Friday I write about story techniques, structure, and/or publishing. Comments and questions are welcome. I also have a personal blog, Amy Deardon, on which I write about a variety of topics purely as they catch my fancy.

I've written one novel, A Lever Long Enough, that I'm honored to say has won two awards. In my life BC (before children) I was a scientist who did bench research.

My book, The Story Template: Conquer Writer's Block Using the Universal Structure of Story, is now available in both hard-copy and e-book formats. I also coach would-be novelists and screenwriters to develop their story. YOU CAN CONTACT ME at amydeardon at yahoo dot com.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Baby Names for Your Writing



Watching how names change is fascinating. I found a website that gives baby names -- both top names for each year, and tracking the incidence of a particular name over a number of years. How fun! This is a great reference site for your period stories, in which you can verify that your character names are consistent with the time.

Source: http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

BOYS

1900:
John  /  William  /  James  /  George  /  Charles 
Robert  /  Joseph  /  Frank  /  Edward  /  Henry

1950:
James  /  Robert  /  John  /  Michael  /  David
William  /  Richard  /  Thomas  /  Charles  /  Gary

2000:
Jacob  /  Michael  /  Matthew  /  Joshua  /  Christopher 
Nicholas  /  Andrew  /  Joseph  /  Daniel  /  Tyler

2011:
Jacob  /  Mason  /  William  /  Jayden  /  Noah
Michael  /  Ethan  /  Alexander  /  Aiden  /  Daniel

GIRLS

1900:
Mary  /  Helen  /  Anna  /  Margaret  /  Ruth 
Elizabeth  /  Florence  /  Ethel  /  Marie  /  Lillian  /  Annie

1950:
Linda  /  Mary  /  Patricia  /  Barbara  /  Susan
Nancy  /  Deborah  /  Sandra  /  Carol  /  Kathleen

2000:
Emily  /  Hannah  /  Madison  /  Ashley  /  Sarah
Alexis  /  Samantha  /  Jessica  /  Elizabeth  /  Taylor

2011:
Sophia  /  Isabella  /  Emma  /  Olivia  /  Ava
Emily  /  Abigail  /  Madison  /  Mia  /  Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment